Tea light causes Shepherd's Bush flat to catch fire

Smoke alarm allows man to escape

 

Related Links

Firefighter Hospitalised After Blaze

Sign up for our free newsletter

Participate

Comment on this story on the

Two fire engines and ten firefighters tackled a fire in a flat in Warbeck Road on Sunday (June 15).

The fire, which was started by an unattended tea light, damaged part of the flat.

Firefighters from Hammersmith and Chiswick were called to the blaze at 3am.


Watch Manager Michael Herschell from Hammersmith Fire Station, helped put out the fire.

He said: “Luckily the man living in the property had a working smoke alarm which alerted him to the fire and allowed him to escape."

“All Londoners should ensure they have a working smoke alarm and that they check it regularly as it could save your life. It’s also important that candles are never left unattended as they regularly cause fires.”

Two fire engines from Hammersmith attended the incident. The brigade was called at 7.30pm and the fire was under control by 8pm.

June 19, 2008.