Fire in Claxon Grove

Woman rescued after cigarette starts fire

Related links

Spaceship building to land in Lyric Square

Participate

Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Two fire engines and ten firefighters were called to a blaze in a flat on Claxton Grove, W6, in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Part of the ground floor flat was damaged by the fire and firefighters rescued a woman, suffering from smoke inhalation.

The fire is believed to have started in the bedroom.

Watch Manager David George from Hammersmith fire station, warned residents of the damagers of smoking at home.

He said: “The fire is believed to have started due to an unattended cigarette.

"When smoking at home always use a proper ashtray and never leave a lit cigarette unattended. Also remember to check your smoke alarms once a week by using the test button.”

The brigade was called at 1.41am and the fire was under control by 2.20am. Crews from Hammersmith fire station were at the scene.


November 20, 2008