Open House in Hammersmith
Free visits to our most interesting buildings
Hammersmith's most interesting are throwing open their doors for this year's Open House London. This annual event, which has become the capital's biggest architectural festival, takes place over this weekend, September 19 and 20.
Here's a guide to what's open in Hammersmith:
Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road
View the Riverside Wing (Ansell and Bailey 2006) with sculpture by David Mach, the hospital chapel (Ralph Rubbs) with stained glass by John Piper and West London Mental Health Centre (Frederick Gibberd Partnership) with sculpture and prints by Bill Woodrow. Other works by Peter Blake and Bridget Riley.
Open Sunday 10.30am-2.30pm. Tours at 10.30am and 12.30pm. Pre-book ONLY on 020 8383 5226 or email Emelie.Salford@imperial.nhs.uk.
Godolphin and Latymer School, Rudland Music School
A new music school for 11-18 year-olds constructed alongside a Grade II* listed church and linked via a glazed atrium. Acoustically designed with passive ventilation throughout. Shortlisted for a RIBA Award 2009.
Open Saturday 10am-3pm. Sunday 10am-3pm. Regular architect-led tours, first come basis, queuing outside if necessary.Last tour 2pm.
Hammersmith and Queen Charlott's Hospital, Ducane Road
Tour includes West London Renal Building (Ansell & Bailey 2005) with stained glass by Martin Donlin, radiotherapy department with prints by Julian Opie and Annie Albers and other works by Allan Ramsay, John Hoyland and Kate Whiteford.
Open Saturday 12.30pm-2pm. Tour at 12.30pm, pre-book ONLY on 020 8383 5226 or email Emelie.Salford@imperial.nhs.uk.
Latymer Upper School, Performing Arts Centre
Although freestanding, the building is linked to the original Arts Centre across two glazed bridges. The main recital space seats 100 while separate studios provide areas for dance, drama and music rehearsal. A fully glazed foyer opens to the newly landscaped heart of the school. Winner of the National Brick Award 2008.
Open Saturday 1pm-5pm. Last entry 4.15pm.
Linden House, Upper Mall
Grade II listed, elegant double-fronted Georgian riverside residence (1733) owned by The London Corinthian Trust. Original 18C frontage with 19C and 20C interior. Race starting box on river bank is Civic Trust Award winner.
Open Sunday 1pm-5pm. Talks 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm about building's adaptation over the centuries and boating/rowing demonstrations.
Lyric Theatre, King Street
Beautiful gilt and velvet auditorium rebuilt inside concrete exterior of 1970s development. New striking glass and steel entrance extension illuminated at night to create glowing box.
Open Saturday 9.30am-1pm. Tours at 10.30am and 12noon. Pre-book ONLY on 0871 2211722.
Maggie's Centre, at Charing Cross Hospital
A non-institutional 'open house', Maggie's is a flexible space designed to be welcoming, uplifting and thought-provoking. The raised roof allows natural light to enter the whole of the building. Partitions divide up the open structure, placing the kitchen at the heart of the building.
Open Sunday 11am-4pm. Regular tours, first come basis.Last entry 3.30pm.
Palace Wharf, Rainville Road
Built in 1907 as a wharf for marble importing, later a decorative plaster works, now artists' studios with river frontage.
Open Saturday 1pm-6pm. Sunday 1pm-6pm.
The London Academy of Music and Drama, Talgarth Road
Completed in 1894 and LAMDA's home since 2003. Black box studio theatre, rehearsal rooms, stage armoury and student common room. Redevelopment plans underway to create a world class drama campus, including a new state-of-the-art theatre.
Open Saturday 10am-4.30pm. Regular tours of behind the scenes including classes in stage combat and director workshops. Last entry 4.15pm.
One of Voysey's first and best buildings, designed for the artist WEF Britten and described by Pevsner in 'Pioneers of the Modern Movement' as being "remarkably novel". Currently being restored by TBD Architects.
Open Saturday 10am-5pm. Tours every half hour, first come basis. Last entry 4.45pm.
William Morris Society, Kelmscott House, Upper Mall
Residence of Sir Francis Ronalds, George MacDonald and (from 1878-96) William Morris (organised by William Morris Society).
Open Saturday 1pm-5pm. Sunday 1pm-5pm.
September 17, 2009