Council Elections Called for May 6

Your guide to voting

Related Links

Hammersmith and Fulham council elections

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Local council elections are to be held on Thursday May 6. A general election must be called to take place before Thursday June 3, though it is also expected to be on May 6.

The council election will appoint 46 councillors in 16 wards. Each ward will have three councillors, except for College Park and Old Oak and Palace Riverside, which each have two.

To be able to vote in these upcoming elections your name has to be on the Register of Electors. To be included on the register you need to fill in a voter registration form, which can be downloaded from the council website.

The form can be posted to: Electoral Services, Room 28, Hammersmith Town Hall, King Street, Hammersmith, W6 9JU. Alternatively, you can fax your form to the council on either 020 8753 2007 or 020 8753 2229 or email a scanned image of the completed form to

If you are voting, the form must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by Tuesday April 20.

New applications to vote by post, or to cancel or amend existing postal votes, or changes from postal to proxy voting (or vice versa) must also reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 5pm, April 20.

New applications to vote by proxy must reach the Electoral Registration Officer before 5pm, Tuesday April 27. New applications to vote by proxy because of physical incapacity happening after April 27 must reach the the Electoral Registration Officer before 5pm, Thursday May 6.

Don't forget to sign the form before returning it.

If you have any queries, call the helpline 020 8753 4466. 

You must register to vote if you are a UK resident, aged 18 years or over and either a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.

You can register only for the address where you are living. 16 or 17 year olds should also be registered to ensure that they can vote as soon as they reach 18. Qualifying commonwealth citizens are those who have leave to enter or remain in the UK.

If you are unsure as to whether you, or anyone in your household, qualify to be included on the register, there is more detailed information included on the voter registration.

March 30, 2010

Bookmark and Share