Charlie Brooks Attends Hammersmith Police Station

Husband of Rebekah charged over phone-hacking scandal

Related links



Hammersmith and Fulham Police

Register for the Shepherd's Bush Newsletter

Get the Hammersmith newsletter

Register for the Fulham Newsletter

Charlie Brooks, husband of former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, has attended Hammersmith Police Station today, May 15, where he was charged with charged with perverting the course of justice.

Rebekah Brooks meanwhile faced the same charge at Lewisham Police Station.

The couple are accused of conspiring to hide material contained on a laptop, iPhone and in paperwork when the phone hacking scandal first came to light last summer.

They were first arrested in July when the items were located in car park bin in Chelsea Harbour, where they were living at the time.

The pair deny the charges and called them "weak and unjust" in a joint statement, which was published just before they appeared at the two separate police stations to be formally charged. 

Also being charged are: Mrs Brooks's former personal assisant, Cheryl Carter; Head of Security at News International Mark Hanna; News International chauffeur Paul Edwards; and Security Consultant Daryl Jorsling. 

Rebekah Brooks resigned her position as the Chief Executive of News International, part of the News Corp media powerhouse owned by Rupert Murdoch, in July of last year. 

Charlie Brooks is a friend of the Prime Minister and fellow Old Etonian David Cameron for more than 30 years, but has no connection with News Corp, other than through his wife. 

The statement issued by Rebekah and Charlie Brooks read: "We have this morning been informed by the Office of the Department of Public Prosecutions that we are to be charged with perverting the course of justice. 

"We deplore this weak and unjust decision. After the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS we will respond later today after our return from the police station." 

However, Alison Levitt QC, Principal Legal Advisor to Britain's Director of Public Prosecutions said she had concluded that  there is sufficient evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction.

In a televised statement, she said: " All these matters relate to the ongoing police investigation into allegations of phone hacking and corruption of public officials in relation to the News of the World and The Sun newspapers."

 

May 15, 2012