Vanessa Redgrave Joins King Street Campaigners at City Hall
Save Our Skyline urge Boris to block plans for redevelopment
Campaign group Save Our Skyline have held a rally at City Hall on Wednesday, December 14 to urge Mayor Boris Johnson to block plans for the redevelopment of King Street.
The group say around 70 Hammersmith residents were joined outside City Hall by actress Vanessa Redgrave, one of a number of celebrities who have supported the campaign.
The plan, which was approved by Hammersmith and Fulham Council at the end of last month will see the town hall extension demolished and the construction of a new public square, 290 new flats and a supermarket on the site of the Cineworld Cinema. It will also mean the demolition of buildings owned by the Pocklington Trust, providing homes for visually impaired people.
Save Our Skyline, which represents concerned local residents and 20 local groups and organisations, says over 8,500 have signed petitions against the scheme.
A spokesman for Mayor Boris Johnson said the mayor intervened after the council passed the planning application as it has the potential to significantly impact his London Plan, which sets out his vision for housing, planning, environment and the landscape of the capital.
Residents now face an anxious wait to discover if the mayor will decide whether to override the councilgrant or refuse permission for the plan.
December 14, 2011