Man Arrested after Brook Green Boy is Struck by Lorry Wing Mirror

Christopher, 15 was hit while waiting for bus home from Chiswick School

Related links

Christopher Prichard, injured in a traffic accident in Chiswick


Chiswick School

Great Ormond Street Hospital

Metropolitan Police Traffic Teams

Appeal for Witnesses to Fatal Accident Outside Shepherd's Bush Station

Tribute Paid to Talgarth Road Crash Victim Magda

Appeal for Witnesses to Talgarth Road Crash

Fulham Man Charged over Van Killing


Register for the Shepherd's Bush Newsletter

Get the Hammersmith newsletter

Register for the Fulham Newsletter

A Brook Green teenager remains in a medically induced coma in hospital after being seriously injured on Tuesday while waiting for his bus home to Hammersmith from Chiswick School on Burlington Lane.

Christopher Pritchard, 15 was with a friend at a bus stop on the A316 when he was hit by the wing mirror of a lorry and seriously injured.

The lorry did not stop and yesterday, October 10, a man was arrested in East Sheen, on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of a collision. He was taken to a police station in West London, and has been bailed to appear at a west London police station on November 26.

A statement from Chiswick School said: " Chris and his friend had just finished playing football when they went to wait at the bus stop on the A316 just beyond the school boundary. The road at this point is four lanes wide but without a central reservation dividing the carriageways.

"From his friend’s account it appears that Chris was standing on the curb peering at the oncoming traffic to see if a bus was coming. A white box van approached fast, only centimetres from the curb. The wing mirror hit Chris in the head. The driver did not stop.

"The noise was so loud that it attracted passers -by who immediately came to help. One was a Chiswick School PE teacher with first aid training. He immediately started giving emergency resuscitation.

"Chris was taken by air ambulance to Whitechapel and we believe was later transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital where he is being treated for head injuries. His condition is now described as stable and he will be woken from an induced coma in due course."

Christopher's mother has used a social media site to thank all those who assisted in helping to trace the driver, after the police issued an appeal for witnesses.

It is understood doctors at Great Ormond Street will try to bring him round from the coma tomorrow if his condition improves.

Chris is described by his friends as "a good lad - full of joy and truthful". He is getting on well at school and is preparing to take his GCSEs next summer.

His friends are being counselled today and are preparing a huge get well card to be signed by Chris’s year and then sent to the hospital. A special Assembly was hel today.

The school is now asking the authorities to investigate the safety issues around nearby bus stops along the A316 where scores of its students wait for buses every afternoon

Head Teacher Mr Ryan says: "It is obviously of great concern to us, that it appears our students are not safe waiting for the bus. We will be reviewing our advice to students on using the bus stops round school in the light of this, but I would urge the relevant authorities to look again at the safety issues resulting from this unfortunate accident.

"In the mean time we are all hoping Chris achieves a speedy recovery and our thoughts are with his family and friends."

MP for Brent and Isleworth Mary Macleod has also stepped in, saying she has contacted Transport for London to ask them to check whether the bus stop should be moved away from the road.

A spokesman for Transport for London said a routine investigation would be carried out at that particular bus stop to determine if any action was needed.

The accident happened at around 4.10pm on the A316 northbound, approximately 100 metres south of the junction with Staveley Road. The bus stop is situated on the A316 in front of the cemetery, and there is a speed limit in place along that stretch of road.

The vehicle involved is believed to have been a Daf LF 7.5 tonne lorry, which was heading towards the Hogarth Roundabout and the A4.

chiswick lorry hit and run

CCTV image of lorry shortly after incident

Officers from the Hampton Traffic Garage are investigating, led by Detective Sergeant John Hartfree.

DS Hartfree says: "I need to hear from all those who witnessed the incident, and I am also appealing for information from anyone who can recognise the lorry involved or the company logo seen on the side of the lorry in the CCTV still.

"Any witnesses or anyone with any information should call police on 020 8941 9011. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."


October 11, 2012