|Listed Memorial Restored to Glory|
Local undertaker rescues Margravine Cemetery monument
One of Margravine Cemetery's most distinctive memorials has been restored to its original glory, after a local firm of funeral directors responded to an appeal from the Friends of Margravine Cemetery.
The Broad family monument, one of only three listed monuments in the cemetery, which is also known as Hammersmith Cemetery, had lain on its side for years after being toppled from its plinth.
The grave belongs to George Broad, who owned the foundry in Hammersmith which cast the Eros statue at Piccadilly Circus.
Following an appeal from the Friends of Margravine Cemetery, funeral directors and monumental masons, J H Kenyon offered to help, and a lorry and crane lifted the 2m bronze memorial onto its sandstone plinth at midday on Thursday October 13.
The listed memorial is is to George Broad, who died in 1895, and his wife and depicts an angel with a sword and holding an inscribed Renaissance shield.
George Broad opened a foundry, the Adelaide Works, in Hammersmith in 1890. He cast various works for Alfred Gilbert, the sculptor, including the bronze and aluminium Memorial to Lord Shaftesbury. Although it is known as the Eros Fountain at Piccadilly Circus, it actually represents the Angel of Christian Charity.
The memorial was sculpted by Astride Fabbrucci, who was born in Florence but based in London with a studio at 16 Hollywood Road, off Fulham Road in London SW10. Fabbrucci was responsible for a number of busts and notable sculptures around the country, including the memorial to C.R. Cockerell in St Paul’s Cathedral.
Fabbrucci was also the landlord of painters James McNeil Whistler and Walter Sickert, who occupied his property at 454a Fulham Road.
Margravine Cemetery, which was opened in November 1869, became a Garden of Rest in 1951. The Friends of Margravine Cemetery was formed by local people in 2006 to preserve all the best aspects of this peaceful Victorian cemetery, including its biological importance as a site for wildlife.
The Friends are currently trying to gain information and any photos from local people who knew the cemetery in the aftermath of World War 11 onwards. If you have information or would like to help please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org
J H Kenyon,who are based in Kensington, were established in 1834 and have since been entrusted with the funeral arrangements of members of the Royal Family, including HM King George VI and key figures from recent British history including Sir Winston Churchill and Viscount Montgomery of Alamein.
November 8, 2011